Frequently Asked Questions
All questions you may have about our discount craft shop are listed below. We have a huge range of materials at the lowest prices in Melbourne. We sell to anyone - you don't have to be a member to buy from us.
You can buy casually or become a member if you want to get an even greater reduction on the cost of your materials. If the answer to your question is not listed below, feel free to call us directly on (03) 9738 1004.
The Most Common Questions Asked:
- How does it all work?
- What sort of items do you have available?
- What are your opening hours?
- Are you open in the school holidays?
- What does 'non-profit' mean?
- Where does all this stuff you sell come from?
- Do I have to become a member?
- Do I have to be part of a group to become a member?
- Why should I become a member?
- What size are your bags?
- Do I have to bring my own bags?
- I don't need a whole bag. Can I just buy a few items?
- What if the items I want to buy won't fit into a standard garbage bag?
- What happens if I don't use all my bags?
- What if I use all my bags before the year is up?
- Can I use all my bags at once?
- Why do you have limits on certain items? This is very frustrating!
- Can I bring in group of people or a school bus?
- I live on the other side of the city - Bayswater is so far away!
- Do you deliver?
- Do you run workshops?
- I would love to donate to Resource Rescue Inc. How can I arrange this?
- I have some polystyrene and the box leftover from my new fridge - will you take this?
How does it all work?
There are two ways you can buy from us:
- If you are an individual, you can come into our store on any of the days we are open and purchase either by the bag, or if you just need a few items then you can buy individual items. We are very cheap and you'll be amazed at what you can find at such low prices! Many individuals who use a lot of our materials take out a membership to save costs.
- If you are a school or community group then you'll definitely want to take advantage of our low priced memberships. To see which category of membership applies to you just see our membership sign-up page.
What sort of items do you have available?
What are your opening hours?
Please see our contact page for details of our opening hours. We are open most days and we are open during school holidays, except over Christmas when we close for 6 weeks.
Are you opening during school holidays?
Yes, except over Christmas when we close for approximately 6 weeks.
What does 'non-profit' mean?
Resource Rescue Inc. is a community based organisation that was set up for a purpose other than profit making. We are not allowed to trade like normal retail businesses. Instead, we rely on the generosity of the community to donate materials and we charge a minimal amount for this material to cover the day to day running of the business.
There are a number of features that identify not-for-profit organisations and differentiate them from for-profit businesses. Features of a not-for-profit organisation include:
- Resource Rescue Inc. has a constitution or set of rules, and a life separate from the people who initiated the organisation;
- We are not subject to government control even though we may be influenced by government funding;
- Any surplus or profit cannot be distributed to members or shareholders, and must be put back into the organisation.
The involvement of volunteers. It is estimated that the majority of not-for-profit organisations in Australia rely entirely on volunteers.
Where does all this stuff you sell come from?
Our stock is supplied by many generous industries across Melbourne. We collect offcuts, seconds and discontinued lines from them that they would otherwise have thrown away. It's a win-win, because these industries don't have to pay for the removal of the waste (we do it for them at no charge) and we are then able to supply these materials to the community at very low prices, while promoting re-use and recycling for the benefit of our planet.
Do I have to become a member?
Feel free to come in any time and purchase our materials on a casual basis.
Do I have to be part of a group to become a member?
We have many individuals who take out memberships with us. ANYBODY can be a member of Resource Rescue Inc.
Why should I become a member?
Once you use more than 3 bags per year it is cheaper to be a member. When you buy a membership, each bag works out to approximately 12 dollars per bag; if you compare this with the casual price of 30 dollars per bag, taking a membership works out much cheaper in the long-run.
What size are your bags?
We supply standard 54 litre garbage bags.
Do I have to bring my own bags?
We supply bags, boxes and scissors when required.
I don't need a whole bag. Can I just buy a few items?
You can buy as little or as much as you like.
What if the items I want to buy won't fit into a standard garbage bag?
Large items such as wood, barrels etc…are priced seperately but are still very cheap. Bulky items such as dacron and foam are cheaper by the bag.
What happens if I don't use all my bags?
Depending on the membership you buy, you will be entitled to a certain number of bags per year. If you don't use all of your bags for that year, this does not accumulate into the following year if you renew your membership. The good news is, it's well worth coming in and making full use of your membership; we have some excellent materials!
What if I use all my bags before the year is up?
You can just buy another membership; and this will take effect immediately; your new membership will be valid one year from the new date you sign. If you find you're running out of bags it's probably best to upgrade to the next level of membership because the cost per bag works out progressively cheaper with each level of membership.
Can I use all my bags at once?
Some country schools choose to make one trip per year and on that visit they purchase all their bags at once.
Why do you have limits on certain items? This is very frustrating!
Some items are available only in small quantities or for a limited time. In the interest of fairness to all members we put a suitable limit on these items so that everybody gets a chance to purchase the items.
Can I bring in a group of people or a school bus?
We have ample parking and we welcome groups of all sizes. Bring your family, your friends or anybody you like. If you let us know in advance we would be happy to give your group personalised a tour of the store.
I live on the other side of the city. Bayswater is so far away!
We encourage you to make the trip anyway - it will be well worth your while! We have people travelling from as far away as Mallacoota to see us. Once you've seen our store and our cheap prices you'll want to come back again and again.
Do you deliver?
YES! Please call the store for a quote.
Do you run workshops?
No, but we can recommend people who do run workshops using our materials. Contact us to ask about workshops.
I would love to donate to Resource Rescue Inc. How can I arrange this?
Easy! Just contact us and we will arrange a time to pick up your unwanted materials. Feel free to visit our what we take page for a list of materials we collect.
have some polystyrene and the box leftover from my new fridge - will you take this?
Unfortunately, no. Since we are a community organization run on a shoestring budget we can't collect from everybody. Feel free to visit our what we take page a list of materials we collect.
Our craft shop is open every day except Sunday and Monday. We also close for about 6 weeks druing the Christmas break. We look forward to seeing you soon!